Have you ever felt like gaining weight all the time even without trying? Perhaps you feel tired right after a hearty meal and having not done any prior strenuous activities. These are often symptoms of hypothyroidism, and if you think you are suffering from the condition, a hypothyroidism diet can do wonders.
You actually gain weight due to the body’s inability to use energy efficiently. This is the result of having low thyroxine hormones in the body. You can check out the following foods that can help your thyroid gland in producing thyroxine.
· Foods rich in iodine. Eating foods that are rich in iodine is one way that you combat the ill effects of hypothyroidism. You are actually making up for the insufficiency of the thyroxine hormone in the body. You can have seafood like seaweeds and clams. Fish found in saltwater are also rich in iodine. As much as possible, use iodized salt.
· Foods rich in tyrosine. Just like iodine, tyrosine is an amino acid that is commonly found in fish and meats. This also helps the thyroid in producing thyroxine hormone.
· Foods rich in selenium. Along with tyrosine and iodine, selenium is a trace mineral that is needed by the body. It aids in the proper functioning of the immune system and the thyroid gland. Nuts and fish are good sources of selenium.
· Use coconut oil. Instead of using other types of oils in cooking, coconut oil can help a lot in getting the thyroid gland to function properly. It actually helps in stimulating the thyroid gland to produce thyroxine.
· Last but not the least, eat food with lots of fiber. Fibrous foods like fruits and vegetables, can make you feel full and would not add to your craving for more food.
These five great foods for your hypothyroidism diet can actually do wonders in helping you cope with low thyroxine hormones in the body, and can keep the weigh off too.
Source by Joe McArthur